In January 2018, Dell announced a new solution called Dell Mobile Connect that brings a whole new level of integration between your smartphones and the Dell PCs. This completely wireless solution called Dell Mobile Connect integrates iOS and Android devices with Dell PCs seamlessly. Once you connect your smartphone with your PC using Dell Mobile Connect you can make calls, send texts, get notifications and even fully mirror your phones to interact with apps you have installed in your smartphone.
If you generally use PC then, you don’t need to split your attention between your laptop and phone while working, studying or playing a game in your PC. The PC will notify about your phone calls, SMS, IMs, and other apps notifications. Like in your smartphone, you can control which specific apps you would like to receive notifications from on your PC.
During the early launch of the app, it was available to Dell’s latest PCs, and laptops only sold after January 1, 2018 – until now. The companion PC app is available on Dell XPS, Inspiron, and Vostro PCs with Bluetooth purchased in January 2018 or later. Dell PCs purchased before January 2018 are not supported to ensure the highest level of quality you expect from Dell. But later, it was found that the company has made it available for all other PC users to download. For this app to work, you should install the Dell Driver in your PC. Dell Mobile Connect provides a complete and wireless integration between smartphones and PCs, allowing both Android and iOS users to make calls, send texts, get notifications, and interact with all of their favorite mobile apps right from their PC screen. But, while installing a device driver on my HP laptop, I am finding the installation error, the Dell device driver won’t install.
The app has features such as:
- Hands-free phone calls – you can make and take phone calls, automatically routed through your PC which is handled by using your PC’s speakers and microphone.
- Text messaging – by using your PC’s keyboard, you can send and receive SMS messages. SMS messages can be attended with through the Message tab or an SMS notification as it comes up in your PC.
- Notifications – your phone calls and notifications will appear on your PC, enabling you to access them through your PC’s mouse, keyboard, and touch screen.
- Contacts – you can have your phone’s contact available through the PC. You can search for the contacts, and either make a call or send an SMS directly from it.
- Screen Mirroring – you can mirror your phone’s screen onto your PC and engage with any of the apps through your PC’s mouse, keyboard, and touch screen.
Dell Mobile Connect apps are only available for iOS 10 and above, Android 5 and above devices. Dell Mobile Connect apps can be downloaded from here.
Steps to download Dell Mobile Connect
- Install the Microsoft Store app on your compatible Dell PC, if it’s not already factory installed. Dell Mobile Connect is now made available to download and use on any PC, regardless of the manufacturing specifications of the PC. For PCs other than Dell, download the Dell Mobile Connect from the Microsoft Store app and install it. Once you’ve downloaded the app from the Microsoft Store, you’ll be prompted to install drivers from Dell’s website. After installing the required drivers in your PC, you can open Mobile Connect again to begin the setup process, which involves selecting whether you’re using an Android or iPhone device.
Note: This type of installation error appears while downloading Dell Device Driver if your PC is not from Dell and Alienware.
- Install the companion iOS app or the android app according to your smartphone.
- Launch the Dell Mobile Connect PC app and follow the quick, guided, one-time set-up to wirelessly connect your phone to your PC.
Dell Mobile Connect is known to create an advanced and wireless integration between your PC and iPhone.You can enjoy iPhone functionality through your Dell PC’s mouse, keyboard, and touch screen.
After you have connected your phone and PC through Dell Mobile Connect App, the app looks something like this:
So, using the Dell Mobile Connect app, you can mirror your phone in PC and perform every function of your phone through PC so that you do not have to juggle between your phone and PC while at work, playing games on PC or studying in PC. But, this app is found to be working only with the Dell PCs that also purchased after January 2018.
Connecting iPhone to PC Through Dell Mobile Connect
Bluetooth (BT) link
After you have completed adding a New Phone setup, the phone will be BT-paired with the PC.
The BT link provides the following functions:
- Contacts: The contacts from your phone are retrieved and displayed on the screen of your PC.
- SMS: Text messages that you receive on your phone are sent to your PC via the BT link.
- Hands-free calling: Phone calls are directed to the PC via the BT link.
- Keyboards channel: Your phone is then mirrored onto the PC screen, and DMC makes it possible for you to interact with your phone using the tools of PC like keyboard and mouse. These input commands from phone to your PC are transmitted through the BT link.
The Add New Phone (ANP) wizard enables easy BT pairing between the phone and the PC, without requiring the user to open the BT Setting screen on the PC side.
To pair the iPhone with the PC, follow the steps below
Step 1: Select iPhone on your APN wizard (See Fig. 2).
Step 2: Go to Settings >> Bluetooth on your iPhone and verify that Bluetooth is turned on (See Figs. 3,4).
Step 3: The phone’s Bluetooth name should be displayed on the PC app screen. Click Select to continue.
Step 4: Approve pairing on both the phone app and the PC app (See Figs. 5, 6).
Step 5: The PC app will now instruct you to turn on the Show notification feature.
Step 6: To allow notifications to be displayed, click the Information icon” ” located to the right of your computer name (See Fig. 8), and then switch on the Show Notifications button (See Fig. 9).
If this app doesn’t work in your laptop, but you are interested in mirroring your smartphone be it iPhone or Android in your PC, do let us know so that we can post more updates on those topics.