The advancement that you are seeing lately in the new and upgraded Gmail app is something you might have seen coming. Earlier, Google publicly announced that they were going to discard the Inbox app in Gmail yet upgrade the Gmail app.
The new and upgraded Gmail app has already become one of the Smartphone and Desktop email service providers in the market. The app has now become even better to work on with the newly-added features to personalize and customize almost everything.
Also Read: Scheduling Gmail Email Feature
This new Gmail app has become flexible, clutter-free, easy to use, and more importantly user-friendly. It’s just that the app has a different look now. You might not find what you need in the places you typically found them earlier. The current display of Gmail features divide and categorize our Inbox into different categories and orders like Spam, Promotions, and Social. You can easily access these categories either on the left side of your screen or on the tabs above your emails.
Personalize your Gmail Inbox
Let’s head now to the section where we learn how to give Gmail our personal touch and personalize the app. Most of these features apply for the Gmail app on your mobile devices.
- Add or remove categories in Gmail:
Similar to the Desktop version, you can add and remove categories in your Gmail inbox. Just follow these easy steps to add or delete categories in the Gmail app.
1. Tap on the hamburger (three linear horizontal lines) menu at the top left corner of your screen and select Settings.
2. Once you reach the Settings menu, click on the account you have added in your Gmail.
3. By this point of time, you have probably spotted the ‘Inbox categories’ option below the Inbox section.
4. Click on the ‘Inbox categories’ option and you will be taken to the next window where you can add or delete the given categories simply by ticking and unticking the options.
This should give you enough information about adding and deleting categories in your Gmail inbox. You can also choose to see starred messages in your inbox or not.
- Change the Layout of your Inbox:
You get to choose the way you want your Gmail inbox to look when you first start using the new Gmail app. You can choose from the Default, Comfortable or Compact Layouts. You can also change the layouts anytime if you changed your mind and want a different look.
Just follow these simple steps to change the look of your Gmail inbox.
1. Click on the hamburger menu at the top left corner of the screen and go to the Settings.
2. Once you reach the ‘Settings’ section, go to the ‘General Settings’ option.
3. Inside the ‘General Settings’ option, you will see a category named ‘Conversation list density.’
4. Click on the category and choose the layout of your choice. Click OK after you are done.
You can always come back and change the layouts if you have a change of mind and want to try a different layout. In the default look, you can get a cleaner look and lesser emails. The comfortable layout was available in the previous version of Gmail; you can select this layout if you want to stick with the classics. The compact layout gives a more general look to your inbox.
- Add a Mobile Signature in the new Gmail app:
You can even give each of your emails your own personal touch in the new Gmail app. If you want to add a signature to your emails, follow these steps:
1. Click on the hamburger menu and go to the ‘Settings.’
2. After you reach the ‘Settings’ section, click on the account you have added.
3. As soon as you click on the accounts, you will be taken to a page. Go to the ‘General’ section and click on the ‘Mobile signature’ category to add one.
Once you add a mobile signature, this will appear on your email. You can even remove it if you want to.
- Use Auto-Reply in the new Gmail app:
When you are on a vacation, the last thing you would want to do while on vacation is to waste time replying the received emails. The Gmail app Auto-Reply feature sends an automated reply you have set to whoever writes to you while on vacation. To activate this feature, follow these steps:
1. Click on the hamburger menu and go to the Settings.
2. Click on the account you have added to Gmail and scroll down to where you will find a category named ‘Out of Office Auto-Reply.’
3. Tap on the category and add the first day and the last day you will be offline.
4. After you are done, click ‘Done’.
This should be easy for you to understand and apply. Don’t forget to add the subject and the message. If you only want to apply this feature to your contacts, there is an option you can choose below.
- Personalize Swipe Action in the new Gmail app:
You can also decide if you want the emails to be archived either by swiping to the left or to the right. If you want to personalize swipe action in your Gmail inbox, Click on the hamburger menu and go to the Settings.
These are some of the Gmail Email Setting features that you would like to learn. If you also need any more information on other gmail features than please feel free to get back to us for proper and professional gmail email support.