Do you want to know more about Google Duo? Are you in need of a video calling app with high definition? Here you go, we have this post dedicated for you !
Google Duo is a video chat mobile app developed by Google, available on both the Android and iOS operating systems. Firstly announced at Google’s developer conference on May 18, 2016, and it began its worldwide release on August 16, 2016.
Google Duo is a challenge to Apple’s FaceTime and in fact, somewhat better than that as where FaceTime can be used only in iOS platform and there is no version of FaceTime for Android device, Google introduced Google Duo for both android and iOS platform. Google Duo lets users make video calls in high definition. It is optimized for low-bandwidth networks. In this app end-to-end encryption is enabled by default making it more secured. Duo is based on phone numbers, it allows you to call anyone on your contact list in case that the contact you are calling also has Google Duo app. The app automatically switches between Wi-Fi and cellular networks. A “Knock Knock” feature lets users see a live preview of the caller before answering. So, Google Duo can be used to call your family, friends, and anyone else who uses the app providing you a high quality video calls satisfying your video calling experience.
Features of Google Duo
- Knock Knock feature: There is a feature in Google Duo called “Knock Knock “. When you call someone using Duo, the other people can see live video of you while the phone rings if you have them as a contact. You will only see video from callers you have as contacts.
To turn Knock Knock on :
- Open Google Duo.
- In the top right corner , tap on More icon >> Settings >> Knock Knock.
- Turn Knock Knock on.
If you cannot see a video preview of someone calling you, then either the calling caller has Knock Knock turned off or they are not in your contact list.
For iOS users, you will need to see the video preview through the call notification.
- Limit Mobile Data Usage : You can use this feature of Google Duo if you want to save your mobile data in case you are using mobile data for internet connection.
To turn this feature on:
- Open Google Duo.
- In the top right corner , tap on More icon >> Settings >> Limit Mobile Data Usage.
- Turn on Limit mobile data usage.
How to Set up Google Duo in iPhone
Follow the following Steps to set up Duo in your iPhone:
Step 1: Go to App Store. Search for Google Duo in the search bar.
Step 2: Once you see the app popping up in your screen, click on Get button. Enter your Apple ID and click on Install as shown in the figure below:
Step 3: After the app is installed in your iPhone, go to the app Google Duo and open it.
Step 5: Now you need to give this app an access to your microphone and camera, to add the friends, you need to give Google Duo a permission to sync your contacts. Plus, let Google Duo send you notifications so that you know when someone is calling you.
Step 6 : Now, you need to log in to your google account. Give your email address (If you already have logged on to google in your phone you won’t be asked to enter your email again).
Step 7: Then, enter your mobile number which is asked next. As you enter the mobile number, Google Duo sends the verification code in your mobile. Enter the verification code that you receive from Google in your message box.
Step 8: Now you are taken to the home of Google Duo where you see the video of your own. At the bottom of your screen there are contacts you have Google Duo in their phone. There is an option of Video calling and Audio calling. You can search your contacts and call anyone you like. The contact must have Google Duo in their phone. The contacts not having Google Duo are also shown, you can invite them to install Google Duo and start using them.
How to set up Google Duo in Android device?
It is similar to the set up of Google Duo in iPhone. For installing the app, go to Play Store, search For Google Duo in the search bar and click on Install once the app appears in your screen. The other steps are same as that in iPhone. Follow them as mentioned above.
How to Set up Google Duo in Windows PC or laptop?
We are hopeful that Google would release Duo to Windows store or as a web application sooner or later. But until then, the only choice we have left in order to use Google Duo on our PC is by installing an Android emulator on the PC.
Undoubtedly, Bluestacks is a great choice for running Android apps on PC, but unfortunately, it is found that it often fails to use PCs or Laptop’s webcam, without which using Google Duo is impossible on a PC as the main functionality of Google Duo is video calling.
Hence, you can use other android emulator by searching for it but we’ll be using an alternate Android emulator called Nox App Player in this tutorial. It can use your PC/Laptop camera without any issues for the apps that demand it. Follow the following given steps to set up Google Duo in your PC:
- Download and Install Nox App Player on your Windows PC/Laptop first of all.
- Download the Google Duo APK on your PC by googling for it.
- Run Nox App Player on your PC once it is downloaded. When it’s fully loaded, click the Settings icon in the window control bar (which is near Window close, maximize and close button).
- From Nox settings, you should enable Root access and let the program restart.
- Once Nox restarts, you have to add your Google account like you add it on your Android device. Go to Settings » Accounts » Add account.
- Then to add the Google Duo APK ,drag and drop the Google Duo APK that you downloaded in Step 2 to the Nox App Player window.
- Now you’ll see a pop-up window, select Open apk folder option which opens the apk file in a file manager on Nox.
- From the file manager window, you should now click on Google Duo APK file and then scroll to the bottom and hit the Install button to install Google Duo on Nox App Player.
- Once Google Duo is installed, you can open the Google Duo App on your PC.
- Like on iPhone and Android device as defined in the steps above, set up Google Duo app in your PC by verifying your number. Use the on-screen keys to input your number, else the Next button may not work. See your mobile as you’ll receive verification code by either SMS or by call. If you do not receive the verification code by SMS even after the time out , you can click on CALL ME text. Once you receive the verification code, enter it in the screen to continue.
Note: You should keep it in mind that one phone number can only run one instance of Google Duo. So if you’ve already setup Google Duo on your Android device, make sure to use another mobile number than used in your Android device to setup Google Duo on PC. Else, Duo will be unregistered on your Android device when it is set up in your PC.
- Once Google Duo is setup, you can either click on Video call button or Audio call button and select the contact you want to make video call to.
Note: Note that you can only make video calls to numbers saved in your Contacts who also have Google Duo in their phone or PC. This is why it is recommended to Add Google account as stated in Step 5 above, so that you’ll have all your contacts from your phone synced over to your PC making it easier for you to call them.
Hence, after you follow the steps mentioned above, you will be able to set up Google Duo in your iPhone, Android Device and Windows PC or laptops. If you got any problems during setup process do let us know. Stay tuned for more updates!