Well, let me make you clear first, this article is not about hacking wi-fi passwords. The purpose of this article is to teach you guys about how to search wifi passwords of known networks. And note that this is only for the Windows users. So, let’s continue.
There comes a time when users like us forget our own WiFi password. This happens more commonly than you think. We all know WIFI routers run non-stop establishing connections automatically of known networks. So there’s very little reason why you’d recall a complicated WiFi password.
Some users set up secure passwords consisting of random characters which are very easy to forget. Others just keep using the random one given to them by their Internet Service Provider(ISP).
So, how do you find out the password? Well, this is what I am going to teach you through this article. Don’t worry! there are few simple steps to carry out. Here I am going to list out those steps in detail.
There are many ways of searching your saved wifi password. Here I have picked up the few easiest ways to find out your lost wifi password. One is through your control panel settings, next one is through command prompt.
How To Find Wifi Password Through Control Panel?
Finding a wifi password through the control panel is not that difficult. It is done in a graphical user interface of Windows. You can easily find the password of connected wireless networks within a few clicks of your mouse. Follow these steps and you will understand more in details:
- First, go to your start menu and type “control panel” on the search bar. There you see the control panel link on top of the start menu bar.
2. Click on the “Control Panel” icon displayed on the top of the menu. This will open a control panel setting dashboard on your screen.
3. Click on “Network and Internet settings”.
4. Click on the “View network status and tasks” link just below the Network and Sharing Center. As highlighted in the picture above. This will open the basic network information and set up connections. Your active network is shown there. You can see SONGSNEPAL is my active network.
5. Click on your Wi-Fi name displayed under active networks as shown in the picture above. In my case, my Wi-Fi is “SONGSNEPAL”. Once you click on your Wi-Fi name a new dialog box appears on your screen displaying your Wi-fi status as shown in the picture below.
6. Now click on the “Wireless Properties” button. This will open a new dialog box called Wireless Network Properties. There you see two tabs i.e. Connection tab and the Security tab.
7. Click on the “Security” tab next to the connection tab. It shall open a new dialog box displaying your Wi-fi security type, Encryption type, and Network security key. The network security key is also known as the Password. The characters shown aren’t in the readable form. Now what you have to do is to put a tick mark on the Show Characters option just below the password box.
8. Now you can see the password of your connected wifi network.
Find Wifi Password Through Command Prompt
It is very easy to find a Wi-Fi password in Windows 10 using a few CMD commands. These commands work even when you are offline, or you are connected to some other WiFi network.
Whenever we connect to a WiFi network and enter the password to connect to that network, we actually make a WLAN profile of that WiFi network. That profile is stored inside our computer, along with the other required details of the WiFi profile.
How to find the Wi-Fi password on Windows 10 using CMD?
- First, you have to open “Command Prompt” and run it as administrator. For this go to search bar and type ‘command prompt’. When you see the command prompt tab on your screen right-click to see more options. Select Run as administrator.
Or you can press (Windows key + R) this will open run command. Now type “cmd” and press enter as shown in the above picture.
2. In the next step, we have to know about all the profiles that are stored on our computer. So, fo this type the following command in the cmd:
“netsh wlan show profile”
3. This will list all the wifi profiles that you have ever connected to. From there you can choose any profile which password you want to know.
4. In the picture above there you see many wifi profiles name. I have intentionally blurred them as they aren’t quite necessary in this article. Among all these let’s go and find out the password for profile SONGSNEPAL.
5. Type the following command to find the wifi password of the network SONGSNEPAL.
“netsh wlan show profile Wifi-name key=clear”
In my case, this command will look like
“netsh wlan show profile SONGSNEPAL key=clear”
6. Once you type the above command you will see all the information about that profile. Look at the Key Content under Security settings. There you see the password of that particular wifi network. In my case, “nepal123” is the password of the network SONGSNEPAL.
Note: This will work only for windows 10 users.
This is how you find out the password of the saved network on your windows. The GUI method i.e. control panel method helps to find out the password of the network that you are currently connected to. But the command prompt method can show you all essential information of any network that you had once connected with your windows.
So, I guess now you are all clear on how to search passwords of the known wi-fi networks. And don’t forget to visit our page: www.webtechtutorial.com for more info and update.