YouTube, without doubt, can be called as the largest online video platform in the whole-wide-world that has more than 1.5 billion logged-in visitors every month. Around 400 hours of content are found to be uploaded every minute, and over a billion hours of videos are found to be watched every day. So, what do you d when you discover YouTube is not working on your device? You were just going to watch a YouTube video on your phone, but it won’t load. It’s incredibly frustrating when YouTube isn’t working on your iPhone, especially if you’re trying to show a funny video to your friend or listen to a music video at the gym or trying to study for exams. Whether it is in the Android device, iPhone or your PC that YouTube is not working, we are going to discuss the full fix all of these devices in this article.
Why is the app not working?
There are several reasons why the YouTube app may not be working in your phone which may include issues such as cache problems, internet related, the app itself or the device the app is on may be at fault. Below are the solutions that will be most likely to fix the issue for you and get things working once again.
YouTube not working in Android Phone | How to fix it?
Follow the solutions listed below to fix the YouTube app which is not working on your android phone:
Solution number 1: Check Internet Connection
One of the most apparent causes of this problem is that you do not have a stable internet connection. If you see YouTube is not working in your phone, the first thing you should do is to check whether or not you’re connected to the internet by opening the settings menu — Wi-Fi or cellular network.
If your device is not connected to the Internet, you have just found the problem. Follow the steps we have mentioned below to be connected to the internet on your phone:
- Open the settings menu of your device.
- You can connect to a Wi-Fi or your carrier’s network — if your device is already not connected.
- After the connection is made, open the YouTube app and try playing a video.
But if you are connected, then try to search for something on Google to see if you have an actual Internet connection. There might be the cases that you might be connected to a Wi-Fi network but there’s still no internet access due to various reasons — problems with the router, work being done on the network, pending bills and all. Right?
In case you can do a Google search and perform other Internet-related tasks except visiting YouTube, then remember that connection isn’t to be blamed. There are some other problems with the app or the device you are using.
Solution number 2: Restart your Phone
We all have experienced that almost any problem related to electronic devices can be solved by restarting that device. Similar is the case with the smartphone. When restarting the device, it closes apps running in the background, among other things, which might be causing the issues you’re having. So, go ahead and restart your phone. We have the step by step instruction for you to reset your android phone:
- Find the power button on your device and press and hold that button on your device.
- The restart option will appear on your screen, tap on it.
- Then launch YouTube app after your device turns back on.
- And try playing a YouTube video.
Solution number 3: Check Your Date and Time Settings
It may sound weird but yes, the date and time settings on your phone can cause problems with the loading of YouTube videos on your phone. It is because Google’s servers might be having trouble syncing with them if you don’t set the time in your correctly. So, now go into your “Settings” and make sure the “Time and Date” are set correctly. “Automatic date and time” should be turned on.
If this doesn’t solve the problem in your phone, don’t worry there are other solutions as well that might fix your problem so, move on to the next solution on this list.
Solution number 4: Update The Software of Your Phone
There’s a small chance that if you find YouTube not working, it could be caused by an outdated version of Android in your phone. So, it is better you update your phone.
- Open the settings menu of your device.
- Find “System updates,” and tap on it— might be in the “About phone” folder.
- Download and install the update if available.
You must keep in mind that depending on the type of android device you have; the option “System updates” might be located under the “About phone” option which is in the settings of your phone.
Once you have the updates downloaded on your phone, tap install button to install the downloaded updates and let the device restart. Then open YouTube app on your phone and check to see if the problem persists.
Solution number 5: Clear the app’s cache and data
The next fix on this list is to clear YouTube’s cache and data. Clearing app’s cache and data on your phone delete temporary data, while the latter gets rid of all app data, including various settings. Follow the instructions listed below to clear the YouTube’s cache and data in your phone:
- Open the settings menu of your device.
- Tap on “Apps” and select YouTube.
- Choose the “Storage” option and tap on “Clear data/Clear cache.”
You can clear cache first and then check if YouTube now works as it should. If it doesn’t, go back and clear data as well to see if that fixes the problem.
Solution number 6: Update YouTube App
You should check to see if the YouTube app in your phone is outdated because the previous version of YouTube might be causing some trouble when the new version of YouTube has been launched. There might be some glitches in the outdated version of YouTube. So, updating the YouTube app might help in solving this issue. Here are the steps to update YouTube on your mobile:
- Open the Google Play Store app in your device.
- Tap on “My apps & games.”
- Tap the “Update” button next to the YouTube app if an update is available.
After that’s done, launch the YouTube app to check if the app works fine.
Applying these six solutions should fix the issues of YouTube in your android phone. There are other solutions also mentioned below if the above solutions didn’t work for you:
- Make sure the apps aren’t disabled. Go into “Settings” then “Apps” and then to the “Disabled” tab. Make sure neither app is listed.
- If none of the above works, you may need to refresh your Google account on your phone. You would need to remove the account and then add it to the phone again. Go to “Settings” and then tap “Accounts.” Next tap the “Google account” you want to remove, then tap the “menu icon” (three dots at the top right) and tap “Remove account.” You would have to do that for all Google accounts on the device.
- If this started after an update, then try uninstalling the said update.
- Last option would be to do a “Hard Reset” of the device. NOTE: Doing this clears ‘all’ the data on your phone, so we suggest you not to choose this option unless it is the only option you have left to do, or aren’t worried about losing anything on your phone. You must back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.If you want to “Hard Reset” the phone then follow the following steps:
- Make sure that the phone is switched off.
- You must remove your SD card if there is any in your device.
- Now, press the “Power” and the “Volume Up” button at the same time until you see the start-up logo popping up on your screen.
- Once the logo appears on your screen, you must release those buttons, and the device will now enter into “System Recovery Mode.”
- Next, you need to use “Volume Down” button to get to the option “wipe data/factory reset.” When in recovery mode you can use “Volume Up” and “Volume Down” buttons to choose and highlight the options that you need.
- Once you have selected the option “wipe data/factory reset,” you should press the “Power” button so that the option will be selected.
- On the following screen, you need to repeatedly press the “Volume Down” button until the option called “Yes – delete all user data” is selected.
- Then press the “Power” button, and the phone would be hard reset.
- If you take your SD card out in step 2, when the device is up and running again, reinsert the SD card.
Let us know if these solutions worked for you by commenting below. If you want to know the solution to this problem in iPhone, here’s the solution.